Monday, January 01, 2007

A Happy and Peace filled New Year to All…

May 2007 be good to you and yours.

I've been Chatting back and forth with my cousin in BC. This past year has been an incredibly rough one for her. She's still looking for charitable knitting projects to contribute to. I blogged about this in August and in July. My cousin found All We Knit is Love and passed it along to me and I sent her to the Dulan Project. When my Aunt was dying of Cancer, I knit several squares for Warming Grace. It couldn't alter facts: the most influential woman in my life was dying but it helped… a lot. I still miss Aunt Betty, every single day, but knitting keeps her close in my heart.

My sidebar has a new link section for Charitable Knitting. if I find sites or if you send me sites, that's where they will go. Regardless of what sparks the desire to knit for charity, if it's the passing of a loved one or seeing a tragic situation on the news and just wanting to help… it's become clear to me that knitting for someone else feels good. Really good. It helps when you're feeling most helpless. knowing you could help warm someone else helps to warm your heart. If you don't knit donate, that feels good too. Whether it's a podcaster like David Reidy who does the marvelous sticks and string simply telling people to donate to any charity (as opposed to his podcast), organizing something as wildly ambitious as "Knitters without Borders" like the Yarn Harlot or delivering hats and mittens to your nearest women's shelter it all matters… we all matter. I would never dream of telling anyone where to put their knitting resources but may each of you find something that resonates with you.

May 2007 find the world a kinder, gentler place for all of us.

3 Comments:

Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

A very lovely sentiment! You should check out the Lone Knitter's new charity initiative, maybe you already have.

I was looking over my stash last night and felt a feeling of horror at all that I've acquired/hoarded. It feels so selfish...it was fun to get the hats back from the group and at least see some of my stash knit up and going to a good place.

6:46 AM  
Blogger PJ said...

I would also like to refer you to the Lone Knitter's blog. Aunt G is my sister. I spent hours, days, weeks, sitting next to her hospital bed, knitting baby blankets. We each had a grandchild coming into the world. She tried but could not sit up long enough to knit a complete project. She was very keen on monitoring my progress. I think I continued just to please her. I watched so many cancer patients come and go, young and old, some had visitor's, others faced it alone. I had several afghans done and waiting to go to several neices, I brought them to the hospital instead. I asked the nurses (bless their caring, gentle manner) to give them to the patients. It made me feel like I was doing something, however small, to make them more comfortablle. My sister left this world cuddling the blanket I had made for her grandson who had been born just hours before. The baby came home from the hospital swaddled in that blanket. The Lone Knitter knows this story and knows I'm continuing to knit for cancer victims of all ages, since cancer knows no age limit, she is bringing this to a whole new level. I am thrilled with her idea. join in. P.S. There are some great prizes too!!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Lone Knitter said...

Thanks so much for posting my blanket drive on your sidebar. That's so nice and thoughtful of you. Happy New Year to you, too!

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home