Monday, November 06, 2006

Who Knew…



Evidently…in addition to being left handed, I am a combination knitter. This came up at my first Toe Up class. Amy was looking at my sock and commented that while none of my stitches were twisted, there was something "different" about them, they slant ever so slightly. Acckk! Different, not good!! She directed me to Annie Modesitt to learn about combination knitting. Apparently it's less stressful on the wrists--may be that's why after that first awful bout with De Quervaine's Syndrome when I started knitting (a wrist wrap, tylenol 3's and phisio 3 times a week for 2 months) it never came back. I found a less wrist straining way to knit. It does give very even tension and it looks great, if you weren't a serious knitter, you'd never notice the difference. If you are having problems with your wrists or other knitter's ailments check it out.

Today my plan is to do both the toes for my toe ups. I can put one set on a stitch holder when I need all 5 needles. The class is great! Amy is an amazing instructor and --look here's the proof! There are a couple of high maintenance ladies that want Teacher at their side the whole time--always a little frustrating--hey we ALL paid the same amount of money for the class, if you want private lessons, pay for them. On the other hand, having taught Adult Ed for 7 years, I know there are always a few students like that and there is nothing you can do except be as diplomatic as possible. May be I was just cranky because my math was wrong and I had to start over. Then I got home and started over anyway. I was working on 2.25 mm dpn's in class and getting 9 stitches/inch. LL recommends 7-8 so I got some 2.5 mm dpn's and started over. I'm still getting 8 stitches/inch and It means knitting 64 stitches around as opposed to 76. Plus, I might need bi-focals. I had to buy new yarn for the course because it's a bit dim at night in Make One and on the 2.25's with the dark blue/purple/plum Trekking XXL, I couldn't see a thing!! I bought some gorgeous Lorna's Laces in Lakeview, it's very pretty and MUCH easier to see. The bigger needles are helping too.


I am seriously torn between working on my wrap sweater and working on my Toe Up socks. I am SO excited about the Wrap Cardi--I just can't say enough good things about the Knitting Pure 'n Simple Pattern or Malibrigo yarn. The ladies at Make One were saying they've had a run on Malibrigo and It was probably me who caused it because I won't stop gushing about it. Next time I'll keep my big mouth shut because the colour ways I liked are mostly gone (or there is only 1 or 2 skeins left). After reading about "Yarn Karma" I am a bit panicky that I may not have enough to finish my sweater--I have 30 yards more than what the pattern calls for but I also need to make the sweater about an inch longer. My gauge is bang on so I am really hoping that the pattern was generous in stating the yarn requirements. As soon as the Wrap Cardi came out of it's bag today--Ginger was in like a dirty shirt cuddling up to it.

6 Comments:

Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Oh boy, sorry if I planted the fear of scarcity within you!
Learning a new technique is so darn fun, isn't it? That's how I felt about the using the left and right hand with Fair Isle...it's cool, for sure. And yes, group classes can be so irritating due to certain annoying individuals. That's why I quit going to my library knitting group, there was one person who just ruined it for everyone!!

8:34 PM  
Blogger Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

No Worries… I just started over thinking it. This is the first big thing I've ever made so I really don't know how paterns budget for extra yarn. I am assuming they calculate generously and if so it's all good.

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grin from ear to ear every time I see a picture of your dog!!

Hope all is well with you. Your toe up sock is a beaut'!

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your toe up is looking great! I love your dog!

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, my blog has moved to typepad. Here's the new address:

www.fortheloveofstitches.typepad.com

11:47 AM  
Blogger Lone Knitter said...

Your toe-up sock looks great so far! I think you picked a great color. I've always wondered what a combination knitter was. I really put a lot of stress on my wrists and right elbow when I knit. I wonder what I can do to stop that.

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home