Monday, November 27, 2006

Baby it's COLD outside!


OK I love Calgary and mostly I love winter but there are days when enough is enough. –23°C with a wind chill that makes it feel like –36° C is more than enough. At least I don't have to go anywhere. I drove the boy to school this morning. normally it's only a five minute drive but it took nearly 20 minutes. We still beat the school busses. I'll do the same this afternoon. It's so cold the dog doesn't want to go out to pee. I put her sweater on (not the wonderful sweater I plan to knit her but her old store bought) and she still won't go.

You know the one thing this weather is really good for? KNITTING!! Not going to the yarn store as is my usual Monday habit but piling under the blankets, putting on a little jazz and knitting. My favourite cuddled up at home music is my "Summer BBQ" playlist. A little Joss Stone, A little Jack Johnson, some James Blunt, some Holly Cole… you get the picture. At work we have these wonderful CD's made for us "The (insert store name here) Radio Network". Customers ask all the time if we sell our CD's or where they can buy the music. It's ecclectic: jazz, blues, some world beat, the odd show tune, pop but always this side of hip, upscale and classy. Now we have light n' jazzy Christmas music in the mix (think "A Charlie Brown Christmas" or Holly Cole's: "Baby It's Cold Outside"). My favourite Christmas song is the Joni Mitchell classic "River"…wish I had a river that I could skate away on… I love this song SO much I have it in my "Wonderful Christmas" play list by three different artists--Joni Mitchel of course, Holly Cole and Sarah McLachlan. I love Christmas music, can't get enough of it (although the other staff keep telling me I WILL get sick of it). It's just an added bonus that I love the music at work--beats the heck out of the last Ad agency I worked at--they would put Eminem on and turn it LOUD (no wonder I started having anxiety attacks). Anyway, you get the idea. There are things I love in life: Music (yes my life DOES have a sound track), Knitting, Reading, Art, Classic Romantic Comedies and I am the LAST person on earth to discover Podcasts? I'm Knitting and listening to "Cast On" it's like listening to CBC Radio, something akin to "The Vinyl Cafe" only about knitting. So, today, it's podcasts, a fresh pot of coffee, music and knitting all the way baby!!

Oh… and look… progress here…


and there…


and on this…


Boring I know but that's what I'm all about these days… finishing stuff. Freeing up the needles. Man it feels good.


This'll spice things up…
an update on my love (or lack there of) life… "The Hanger". He's behaving suspiciously like a boyfriend these days. It's freakin' me out man! He did just turn 40 may be it's a mid-life crisis. He wants me to decorate his townhouse when it's finished… and there's more… Now the defining feature of "the Hanger" what makes him a "Hanger" in essence is his total lack of interest in having or associating in any way with kids. I have one, he can't deal with them ergo he is a "Hanger". On several occasions lately, he has quietly and in passing brought up the subject of kids as in: "if I were going to have kids with anyone it would be you" then changed the subject. I have been choosing to pretend I didn't hear him. If he wants kids with me, time is of the essence. I am past the best before date on that score. Plus, we aren't "really" going out. He doesn't sit down to Sunday dinner with us… I've never met his parents… that would need to change. If he can't cope with the boy (who absolutely loves him by the way), he won't cope with a baby. Plus I am NOT the sort to get "knocked up", I want some sort of committment (he has a bad track record on the whole committment issue), possibly even a ring, a declaration of undying love would work too. I think we work fine just the way we are. I have my life with the boy… he has his life. He goes home. I go home. It works. I will come right out and admit that I do love the Hanger--even though he's shallow and flakey as hell--but I love my independance too… too much to mess with it. I'll keep you posted.

7 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

I don't know how many others have read your post and passed on the comment option, but here's my opinion on the Hanger- worth what you paid..."he has a bad track record on the whole committment issue"..."total lack of interest in kids"..."shallow and flakey as hell" Sounds like a keeper to me.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

Exactly… he and I have been friends for a long time. I've watched him screw up more than one relationship from the sidelines. We are pals, he's been an amazing and very loyal friend to me and I do love him as a friend. He is also the very first person to refer to himself as shallow.

Lately BECAUSE he seems to be rethinking a lot of stuff, kids in particular. It's throwing me off because all the stuff that makes him a hanger NOT a keeper seems to be the same stuff he's rethinking.

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is another comment from the peanut gallery. When you find the right "someone" you will not be able to "go home". He will not be able to "go home". He will love "the boy" as his own. Don't settle for the "Hanger" because you love him. I bet you love your dog too. Find passion, the ONE who makes your heart sing like Julie Andrews on that snow covered hill and you feel like an idiot because you smile at the green bananas in the fresh fruit section of your local grocery. I could go on and on because I was going out with a Hanger when I met the BF, DH, father of my two sons and dumped the Hanger like a bag of hot rocks. Don't mind me, I am a romantic.

8:58 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

You are cracking me up with the 'Best before' date business!!! I am jealous of your wintry landscape--maybe if we had a little snow I would enjoy Christmas music a little more. I am also in a finishing mode right now with my various projects, it's not exciting but there is a sense of accomplishment.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Hi Marnie- I agree with Bev- don't settle. The red flags are waving baby!
If he doesn't accept the boy- that's a dealbreaker right there. Keep him as a friend, if you need to.

Now about my contract with Dr. Phil....
Love the snow btw.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Lone Knitter said...

I love Joni Mitchell too! I think my favorite song is "Cary" followed by "Californa." I misplaced my CD a few years ago when I moved to NYC. I should ask my boyfriend for a new one for Christmas. I wish it would snow here.

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, it was 40 degrees F yesterday and today out of nowhere it's 19. I am freezing my buns off, but still happy that snow has not yet hit the ground.
You are doing great finishing your projects. I think I will get on that wagon too. Everything looks great.
The Hanger might be thinking about changing his bad track record. Maybe turning 40 is making him think about his life and where he wants to be. It seems like he definitely sees you in his future. hmmm...I guess time will tell?

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home