Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Mama never told me there'd be days like this…

I know beyond a doubt that I am a lucky person. I am blessed with wonderful friends and a large extended family out in BC. I have finally found a job I love and am really good at. My son is a great joy to me. But I've been having a bad week.

I don't get sick that often but right now-- killer sinus infection--YUCK!! When I do get sick, it gets into my lungs quickly and triggers severe asthma. I have friends here in Calgary but no family. Normally it doesn't bother me but the last few days it has, if I had family here, there would be someone to count on, someone there to help. Sometimes being a single Mom is wonderful, sometimes it's hard, sometimes it's downright scary--there is no one else, the look on my 12-year-old's face on Saturday night when he asked if may be he should call me an ambulance pretty much summed it up.

And yet when I feel like this, there are constant reminders that I am not alone. Friday I staggered up to my door, cold and sick as a dog and there was a package. I am ashamed to admit that the first thought that came in to my head was that it must've been mis-delivered and just how far was I going to have to walk to get it to the right address. No it was for me, for no reason, just because. Yarn, sock yarn to be exact, Koigu Painter's Pallette P700 and Sock-Hop in "Hard Day's Night" (I've never seen either of these yarns "in the flesh" so to speak until now) and an adorable sock bag.

Of course I took pictures. What an amazing and unexpected gift. Thanks again Cindy!!

Saturday, I was at work, pretending to be useful and who do comes banging on the window but Sandra from Make One, up to her armpits in Crave Cupcakes. She was getting ready for the Knitting retreat. She is hilarious and always lifts my spirits.

Yesterday, I had a chat with my X -sister -in-law. It reminded me that I do have a family of sorts here. My X's family. They are a good bunch and even though I try hard to manage without them they were my family too for nearly 15 years and they would be there in a flash if ever I needed help.

Before I got sick, I did two things

Finish the body of my sweater YEAH! It's matched to the best fitting sweater I own and you can see it IS going to fit. Now for the neckline trim and the sleeves.

And I went on a major stash enhancing expedition. Yarn for the boys sweater: Misti Alpaca Worsted; Yarn for a pair of Fetchings: Rowan Cashsoft Aran in Thunder and yarn to make the dog a new winter coat Cascade 220 Super Wash 802--enough projects to keep this girl happy all winter long! Not to mention enough sock yarn to keep me busy for several months.

Being laid up for a few days did give me a good chance to work on my toe-up socks. I ripped and re-did the toes one more time (more for re-enforcing how to do them right than out of need. Now they are just zipping along. I'd like to be ready to do both heels by next Monday.

I'll leave you with a picture of Ginger… Longing for her new sweater

and…coveting mine.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry to hear you are sick; sinus infections suck (and they hurt). It must be hard having no family around....love all your yarn - it's going to be knitting busy over there at your house! Glad you like the yarn - glad it arrived on a day when you really needed it.

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sinus infections are the worst! I know how you are feeling. I hope you feel better. I'm sure the beautiful package you received made you feel a little better. The sock yarn is great! and I've never seen a sock bag before, but I think I need one. It's gorgeous! Your sweater is coming out great! I need to get started on mine. Ginger is the cutest!

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your sweater really is awesome! I love how you're checking the fit :)

I've sadly realized that the new and cool yarn shops in Calgary are all a trek away from my neighbourhood in the SE. Boo. I'll have to learn to love the freeways when I move back ...

6:30 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Our dog growing up was named Ginger! Once again proof that we're separated at birth....LOVE the color of the cascade, green is so cheerful. I have yet to try toe-up socks, I'm in such a rut with socks these days, always the same old pattern, but I know it be heart, which is handy. Sorry to hear about the illness, that's rotten. How lovely to have received a package and I LOVE the koigu. Feel better soon!

6:45 PM  
Blogger Lone Knitter said...

I'm so glad you got a knitting package to brighten up your day. I hope you're feeling better! I love the beginnings of your toe-up socks.

8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home