Monday, October 09, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving! And a Burning Question…


Has everyone been enjoying their Turkey? Ginger looks like she may have got into it.

So, I have a question…
If I wanted to make a very special girlfriend, a mentor, a true friend a "pashmina" style wrap in Chocolate Brown and wanted it to be really, REALLY special… what yarn would I use? What pattern? I ask this because my experience with different yarns is limited. I know in a perfect world, it would be made of cashmere but do you know, I have no idea what weight, on what size needles or whether there is some miracle yarn out there that would be even more perfect, softer more drapey (is that a word). Is there a yarn out there that would give that "pashmina" drop dead gorgeousness but not cost me a month's pay? And where might I find it? I know there are other clever knitters out there who have the answers to these questions--to them I say--PLEASE help me!


Otherwise: I am loving my top down wrap cardi!! The olive Malibrigo looks great, here is a detail that doesn't do it justice, it is SO my colour. Now the boy has decided he really NEEDS a top down Henley. He saw this and asked me if I'd make him one in something with greens and browns.



I am well on my way with my Dad's scarf. He'll love it!

The Hanger seemed very pleased with his scarf. He tends to be drawn towards more "decorative" women (did I mention he's shallow) I don't think he's ever been given anything hand made before.

We had a very nice get away, the weather couldn't have been more perfect. The boy hung out with his Uncle for the weekend--they went to the climbing wall and had a great time. I quite like my X-Brother in Law, he's a little rough around the edges but he's a good guy.


I found a top I HAD to have.… and new earrings. As you can plainly see… the obsession with green continues.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

Your top down cardi is looking wonderful. I love Malabrigo. For your faux pashmina I would recommend alpaca. Misti alpaca comes in laceweight, sport, worsted and bulky in lots of colours. Alpaca is amazingly soft and luscious but much less money than cashmere. That said, there is an online source for cashmere on cones that I've seen in the back of knitting mags. I'll track down the url for you when I get a chance. I remember being impressed at the prices when last I looked. Want to spend more than cashmere - go for Buffalo Gold or Windy Valley Musk-Ox - both down fibers are almost too soft to feel.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Long time no hear from me but I am trying to get myself together finally...sort of. Love the top down cardi and Malabraigo is also a favourite of mine. I agree about the Alpaca and there are lots of sources for that. You should check out the knitpicks website for free shawl patterns; also Knitty and IK (that might give you a better idea of where to go from there in terms of weight and wool). I will think of some as well.

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Marnie- I tried to e-mail you, but it got sent back. I'm still around, but shopping for a new blog venue.
I also recommend Alpaca- it is luxurious and won't break the bank.
Hope all is well with you and your son.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Lone Knitter said...

Have fun at your toe-up sock class. I find that the toe-up sock is really great--it gives you a sense of finishing the sock before you begin. Does that sound weird? I'm making another toe-up pair now and don't even want to touch the top-down sock in progress.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home