Sunday, September 24, 2006

Variations on a Theme…

I am limiting my efforts to finish WIP's to a couple of projects and have been very diligent about NOT STARTING ANY MORE! Although I have bought 1 new book, 2 new patterns and the wool to do one of them.


First there is Sizzle, I am almost done the decreases on the front and it's looking good. It's very fast moving which I like, good ol' stocking stitch all the way.


I am also working on the same scarf--the "Men's Cashmere Scarf" out of Last-Minute Knitted Gifts. I'm calling this variations on a theme--three different scarves for three different men. On the left we have double stranded Blue Sky Alpaca/Silk in Blue 127 for the Hanger--it's almost done, just in time for his birthday. In the middle is Rowan Baby Alpaca DK in 207 Cheviot for my Dad--his birthday is in November. On the right is double stranded Drops Baby Alpaca in 506. the same scarf on different size needles in different widths. Fortunately I like the pattern and the alternating single rib and knit stitches keep it interesting. I find the way the different materials knit up interesting as well. The alpaca/silk is on the largest needles, it has the most clearly defined pattern. The Drops is on the finest needles and as it's got a lovely soft halo, it has the least defined pattern but it's also the softest. I am enjoying all of them. The Hanger is a real guy guy, I think he'll like his heavier weight scarf. The Drops is for my manager, a more metro sort of man. He's seen his and likes that it's soft and thin, not too bulky and will match his black leather jacket to a T. And my Dad's an old sailor of Scottish decent who lives near the ocean--something tells me he'll like his warm, soft but not too fluffy scarf and the oatmeal colour will be nice with his white hair and blue eyes.


I also have to show off my new decorating feature, I picked up this wire basket at work and filled it with balls of yarn, some left overs and some from projects I haven't started yet. I see another "Purl" scarf in there--in shades of red and burnt orange. And one ball of Olive Malibrigo destined for a sweater--the rest is in my wool drawer.

I've decided to attempt my first sweater this fall. The "Top Down Wrap Cardigan"
from Knitting Pure and Simple, that's what the olive malibrigo is for. I've heard nothing but good things about their patterns so I'm looking forward to it. I picked up the pattern for Green Gable as well but it's on the back burner for a while. It seems like spring/summer knitting.


And of course the gratuitous picture of Ginger lolling in wool--doesn't she look happy?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What great control you seem to have. I dont' think I can just simply finish my wip's. Smile.

Yes, your dog does look happy.

Knit on!

10:14 PM  
Blogger Gina said...

Your Sizzle is looking fine! Pretty soon you'll have another opportunity to practise your mattress stitch! Looking forward to it.

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know this has nothing to do with knitting and is really none of my business, but how do you cope with your son being around the girl your ex ran off with? Especially in the beginning? It just kills me that that 22 year old my ex ran off with spends time with my son.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

In the beginning, it did drive me nuts. Every time I started to loose my temper or get upset, I cranked up the music, got on my rebounder (mini-trampoline) and jumped until I got it out of my system. If need be, I jumped and yelled.

It came down to being too stubborn to let anyone know how hurt I was. It was in our son's best interest to keep everything polite.

She knows what she did--that's why she made my X move from AB to ON--she couldn't stand to see me. She did a thorogh job of alienating our son this Summer. She's that insecure.

My personal credo (one I would recommed) is that a life well lived IS the best revenge… and I am living life well.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right. About the living life well. I have actually been doing that, but sometimes it still sneaks up on me.
I should join a gym. That'd be a good way to work off some of the anger.
Thanks a lot. You should start a blog where you offer therapy for us members of the First Wives Club.

5:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the basket of yarn! Very eye catching!

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sizzle is coming out great! I love the variations of the scarf.

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home