Sunday, July 16, 2006

Kids!!


SO I can now wear my 12-year-old son's cloths. There's a concept. I bought him a totally cool jacket and it fits me perfectly! His shorts fit me too. He's doing this whole revolutionary look, he has his Fidel hat (with a pin my dad brought back from Russia on it) and of course the green cotton boarding hat, an army surplus jacket, army green pants and shorts and an assortment of vintagy T-shirts and Tank tops in shades of black, grey, washed out yellow and any kind of green with peace doves anti-war slogans and that sort of thing on them, I tried to round up my Bob Marley T-shirt from when I was 17, It's around here somewhere. All he needs now is a Che Guevara or may be a Mao shirt and he's good to go. Note: I don't think it's a coincidence that the colours of his rugby team are green, grey and black, and a touch of red in the logo--even rugby fits into his chosen colour scheme.

I get such a kick out of watching my son transform from Child to Teen. He's totally into the music I was listening to when I was 20, he LOVES The Clash, Faith No More, The Specials, The Police, Early U2 (and as for modern bands, his favourite bands are Green Day and REM). HIs favourite CD is the "Grosse Point Blank" soundtrack. That early to mid-80's sound. I like that he's developing a quirky fashion sense and a pro environment, anti-establishment attitude. I have lots of friends who have Teenage kids and it's fascinating watching them develop, some kids do the Goth thing, some go the Tatoos and Piercings Skater (or is that Sk8R) look, then there are the lucky few who's kids just dress in your basic Jeans and T-shirts. It seems like the more conservative the parents are the more out there the kids go and vice versa, my one girlfriend who was a "wild thing" has the most conservative daughter and my most conservative girlfriend has a teenager who's gone totally Goth. I use to dye everything I owned black (it's what 6 years of Art College will do to you) so my son is mid-line as far as I'm concerned.

The boy is off to camp for a week (why I've been taking more note than usual of how his wardrobe is developing--I had to help him pack). I'll miss him but boy I am looking forward to it. A house that stays clean, eating cereal for dinner if I don't feel like cooking, all that uninterrupted knitting and reading time! He comes back for a week goes back to camp for a 2nd week and come August, he heads off to St. Catherine's ON to visit his Dad for a whole 3 weeks!! The longest he's ever been away. I think it'll be good but weird. He gets back just in time for school.

3 Comments:

Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

My kids are at camp as well this week! I woke up this morning with that 'homesick at camp' feeling, totally put me back in my childhood...I love the whole revolutionary look your son is sporting, TOO COOL! I agree that it's fun to watch the transformation from child to teen and see their tastes take shape, and it's so fun when their tastes are also yours (or were at one time). I'm glad to know he's an REM fan--they are an important band in our household as one the members is my daughters' godfather. Hint: he's bald!;)

5:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy the quiet time! I think you're about to catch the knitting fever as well. It's been spreading fast :).

9:16 AM  
Blogger Loralee Choate said...

I suck at knitting (The one and only thing I ended up producing was a scarf that was so tight it only measured about 6 inches across. Blush.).

I love the Grosse Point Blank soundtrack. The 80's were the best decade musically (IMO).

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home