Monday, August 07, 2006

And Why Not…


I finished my ribbon shell, but just can't seem to get it sewn together and blocked. I love to knit--HATE to sew. In fact I would classify myself as "sewing phobic" stemming from an incident with my grade 9 sewing instructor "Miss Yurich" who offered to pass me in sewing on the one condition--that I NEVER take it again.

My Mom hated finishing the sweaters she made and so, use to pack them up and mail them to my Aunt Betty to finish and block for her. THAT's what I want. I want to mail away the pieces and have some magic sewing angel send me back a finished ribbon shell.

In the absence of that, I decided to start not one but two more projects. I have temporarily forsaken my fitted tank and am using the Misti Alpaca Pima Cotton/Silk in Lavender that I bought for it to make this instead. I think it'll look great in lavender and I already know from the swatch I blocked and from the ribbon shell that it drapes beautifully and will indeed "Sizzle"! I am a bit concerned about the length. Around I am a small but I am a 5'9" small so if I follow the small pattern I am worried it'll be short. If I make it longer before I start the darts, it should work out OK. I wish I knew more about how to adjust patterns properly. For the ribbon shell, I knit the width wise instructions for the small pattern but used the large instructions for anything pertaining to length. It seems to have worked out. This pattern only has width wise changes so I am a little worried.

I am also working here and there on the tube wrap from "AlterKNITS" it's a basic stocking stitch tube in very fine mohair. Very straight forward and should take… oh… forever. I do keep picking away at other projects as well. There are things that are close to being finished. The ribbon shell flew by it's just the sewing that's holding me up. My blue wrap is almost done. It's really quite pretty.

Make One Is having a whole day of knitting drop in today. I'd love to go! but the boy is away on Wednesday and while I don't have to work, conscience says it would be neglectful of me to go knit when he'll be gone for three whole weeks. There will be time enough for knitting then I suppose. I did some knitting when he was at camp, watched girly movies, drank Vodka Slushies and read. He said it was the best camp ever and I enjoyed my 5 days on my own.

I have been seeing "the Hanger" again. As is his habit, as soon as I told him he should really stop seeing me, I started seeing more of him than ever: movies, walks, lunch, dinner… phone calls every day… he was planning to go to the memorial service with me this coming weekend but couldn't work it with his new shift. Occasionally, I wonder what is going on in his head but I have a feeling, it might just be the wind whistling. I will say this: anyone who is as good to their parents and loves animals as much as he does has some redeeming qualities. I rather like the way my son described him to his Grandma (my X's Mom) when she asked: "He's like a big brother, he's really cool, likes all the same stuff I do and is WAY younger than my Mom." Except for the "Way" younger, it's pretty much true. He's not unlike like Will from "About A Boy" a kid in a man's body.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mary said...

I need to find me a "hanger"! ;-)

Regarding your hate of sewing, I have heard that yarn shops that have people that will do finishing work for a fee. Might want to give your LYS's a call about that....

Oh, and thanks for the hat suggestion on my blog - much appreciated! :-)

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...anyone who is as good to their parents and loves animals as much as he does has some redeeming qualities."

My evil ex-husband is a cat person and actually likes to hang out with parents... but he's still an asshole!

My husband ran off with a 22 year old two years ago, after 13 years of "it's all about him." Like you, I've come to realize how much happier I am without him, and have been forced to grow in many ways, all for the better. Your words have helped me cope during some rough moments...thanks for that.

Hurray for second chances!

6:56 PM  
Blogger Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

Good to know that my words have helped you. I certainly hear what you're saying. 15 years together and my X husband was "not happy" with me. It was as you say… all about him. Four years on he's still "not happy" and the 23-year-old he left me for is now his wife and I get the distinct impression she's none too happy either! Guess it's like Buckaroo Bonsai says, "Where ever you go… there you are" Glad you are stronger and better than ever!

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Marnie - send me that dang shell, I'll finish her for you! I'll send you an email with my addy. Better yet, we'll get together - you can buy me a coffee ad I'll sew your shell. I bought Misti Cotton pima/silk in black yesterday at Make 1 and am restarting Sizzle.

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah - I would put some extra length between the end of the bottom darts and the start of the upper darts on Sizzle if you are long waisted. There are only 3 rows in between them on the pattern. Check your row guage compared to the pattern guage to decide how many more rows. There is an excellent tutorial at Knitty.com written by Bonne Marie of Chicknits about how to measure to fit yourself. Look at that before you do anything. She also has recently posted it on her blog: www.chicknits.com

11:10 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

That lavender is beautiful and has the perfect sheen for Sizzle...I also recommend that when you have to do the 'make one' increases you knit into the back of the loop rather than the front so as not to have a hole (maybe you are smart and do this already!).
Also, does a LYS near you have finishing services? I wish mine did, as you know I loathe any form of sewing whatsoever. Have fun with your projects!

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also can't stand sewing. I'm kind of forcing myself to get used to it, but boy oh boy, it takes me forever to finish the project. Sewing and I just don't mix. I didn't know that LYS's do that for you. Well, I'm about to see if mine does and how much they charge for it.
I say have as much fun with the hanger as you like. You know what you want and what you don't want, and you deserve the best of everything. There's nothing wrong with enjoying life! :)!

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home