Sunday, July 02, 2006

There's more to life than reading?

In my previously mentioned internet/ hanger deprived state, I have been occupying myself with knitting, swimming at the two nearby outdoor pools (with afore-mentioned lifeguard ogling) walking in the park and reading.

Everyone likes a heads up on a great read (at least everyone I know) and added to the last list of books I posted, and "The Kite Runner" here are a couple of books that I've loved recently. The first is "A Perfect Night to Go to China" it's by David Gilmour (a CBC regular) and was a Governor General's Award winner. It isn't long but it is profoundly moving and emotional. I had picked it for my book group next year without having read it. Now I can whole heartedly recommend it. Ladies, It'll break your heart! The second book I've been reading is "Broken for You" by an American writer Stephanie Kallos. It's a book about family lost and found and is warm and wonderful. The characters are vivid and eccentric and you really, really want to know them better. In some ways her writing style reminds me a bit of Constance Beresford-Howe (she wrote "A Serious Widow" and "The Book of Eve") those finely drawn eccentric characters. It was a staff pick at Pages in Kensington and they never steer me wrong. I also picked up "Saturday" by Ian McEwan. I've read his books "Atonement" and "The Black Dog" they are not easy books but they are interesting and his writing style is gorgeous. I am looking forward to reading "Saturday" as well.

I am always looking for recommendations from others as well so if you have something you've read and loved… pass it on!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lots of recommendations...some of my absolute all time faves...

Sylvanus Now by Donna Morrissey

The Hatbox Letters by Beth Powning

The Republic of Love by Carol Shields

A Cure for Death by Lightning by Gail Andersen Dargatz

The Stone Carvers by Jane Urquhart

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving (not Can Lit, but one of my all time faves...and partly set in Canada).

My Canada Day entries from last year include a pretty long list too (see them here and here).

Hmm...I should update them for this year's (now late) Canada Day entry...

Happy reading!

7:18 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Yes I live Ian McKewan as well, he's so twisted!
Have you read any Augusten Burroughs? Running with Scissors is completely hilarious.
I also spend a lot of time cheking out the lifeguards at out pool, and I feel like I could be arrested because they're all like 18!

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home