Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Suddenly… Socks started making sense…

I'm back. We drove up to Edmonton. Haven't been to "The Mall" in 14 years… parts of it are looking pretty run down. Still, had a great time, it was nice to get away. First time I've gone away without my son in several years. The Hanger is a good travel companion, laid back and relaxed.


I was ready to give up on socks after I had to rip back to the heel flap for the 3rd time and suddenly, it made sense. By Jove I got it! Turned my heel and it worked perfectly, the gussets were no problem at all and I'm on the home stretch. Now I just want to go sock crazy!




Made a trip down to Make One Yarn Studio today to browse. Never been in before but I'll be going back as often as I can afford it! They were awesome–super helpful, I've found my happy place! Did some stash enhancement but restricted myself to one skein of Lorna's Laces Shepard Sock yarn in Jeans and 2 skeins of lovely Blue Sky Alpaca organic cotton in Shell and Orchid to make "Baby's First Hat" for my X-sister-in-law's new little baby girl and to make some squares for Warming Grace. I've been meaning to sign up for days but wanted to find just the right yarn first.

When I was ready to give up on socks altogether (the long dark tea time of the soul) there were several blogs with socks, gorgeous socks that inspired me to keep going. Beautiful, magical socks like all of these… these… these… these too… hmmm… these… Aren't they yummy! So many socks… so little time! Guess what the 4 sisters and my Dad will be getting for Christmas?

Interesting possibilities on the job front. Not in graphic design, but design related. Graphic design isn't what it use to be anyway, I went through art college pre-computer, just to get into Visual Communications was ultra competitive and everything we did was hand crafted, I picked up any computer skills needed on my own. Now design means being stuck behind a computer in a "sweatshop" environment. It isn't valued because there are so many people out there calling themselves designers. I interviewed at one ad agency where the "designers" were both students at a local technical college--not even the Art college, the agency is charging clients $200/hour and paying their students around $11/hr. I have 6 years of formal art college training, I'd rather put my creativity and skills to use painting, drawing, knitting, doing my own photography and writing then working for low wages cranking stuff out on the computer. Anyway, that's my rant for today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home