Sunday, March 26, 2006

Spring Break…

There was a storm advisory for this weekend but it appears to have been a false alarm. I got up today and it was lovely outside so the boy and I packed our selves off to the Calgary Zoo. We ran into some friends on the way in so we hung out with them for a bit. We had hoped to see the baby hippo, but she was feeling shy and had hidden herself away in a corner. Normally, I'm not keen on zoos. I do love the book Life of Pi by Yann Martel where the zoo animals are an integral part of the story and become characters in and of themselves. When I think of zoos, I think of the Vancouver zoo, not as it is now, but as it was when I was little, in Stanley Park with all the animals pacing in tiny little cement enclosures. The Calgary Zoo is different. It's a facility with a world class reputation and deservedly so.

My favourite part of the zoo isn't the animals though, it's the conservatory. It's humid in there and my west coast skin can get some temporary relief from the relentlessly dry weather here in Calgary.

They have a butterfly room…


A rainforest complete with orchids…


And an arid garden…


During the Summer, the gardens at the zoo are lovely, they have bed upon bed of Iris, roses, peonys and all sorts of other lovely flowers and shrubs.


Other than that, I am finally going to start my socks. I had purchased some Kroy sock yarn by Patons in greys which didn't inspire me enough so I picked up some Lana Grossa. I found a pattern with easy to follow instruction and the Lana Grossa is a lovely varigation of pinks and purples that truly inspires me. Wish me luck.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mandy said...

I love the Calgary Zoo, especially the conservatory - my husband and I got married there. Calgary blogs make me homesick, but in a good way. :)

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home