Monday, December 03, 2007

The tree is up...

I am of two minds at Christmas. I love Christmas, not getting presents but having happy secrets, decorating, lights, music all that good stuff. The general spirit of good will--unless you work retail then it's the general spirit of "I want it and I want it now and while you're at it could you wrap each and every ornament carefully mind you (cause you're obviously too stupid to do it carefully if I don't tell you to) and I don't care if there are 10 people behind me!--and even that only seems to be somehow tolerable, a reflection of how screwed up and sad some people are and how far away they get from the Christmas spirit, I feel sorry for them more than anything. But I digress.

I love the familiness of Christmas. My Mom was a certified Christmas Nut!! And that's my flip side. Christmas is also when I miss my Mom most of all. She MADE Christmas and it's never, ever been the same without her. So when I was decorating the tree with my son, I found myself in tears. Certain music gets to me, little things set me off. I think the word I am looking for is Bittersweet.

I also knit, I felt compelled to start the Simple Knitted Bodice. I've been obsessed with it for a while. So far I am loving the yarn, Lang Silk Dream, in Heather. It's SO soft. I am in Simple Knitted Bodice Love.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger YawnOver said...

What pretty ornaments! The tree really helps get the season started, doesn't it? And thank God for knitting and its stress-relieving properties :)

1:20 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Yes, bittersweet is the word, you are so right:)

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like being crazy at Christmas - I love baking cookies and sending cards. I don't enjoy decorating but the rest of the family does, so I like looking at it!

It's good to let yourself feel those sad feelings and let them out. I hope you'll continue to enjoy your Christmas preparations with your son.

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home