Monday, September 24, 2007

My little secret…

I was being so good, no new yarn acquisitions, working with what I had. Then, oh I don't know... it all just started to get to me you know? I wanted to spend a little money on myself. It's money I really shouldn't have been spending but here's the thing. It was only sock yarn... no biggie... $20 here and $20 there well closer to $60 here and $40 there but who's counting and damn it sock yarn is pretty!! Claudia's, Mama-E's, Cider Moon--Even in it's pre-sock state it's just so darn pretty. And it makes me happy just to hold it.

Should I call Make One and Sweet Sheep and the good ol' Loopy Ewe and tell them, "Please, don't take my money, tell me it's no good, send me packing."

I am trying to save money so I can finish my home renovations, an endless work in progress. SO here is the secret. All you lovely organized folk who lovingly store your yarn in plastic storage bins with lovely lavender sachets so it smells nice. What I do with my stash, is… and some of you may find this disturbing… I use it for insulation. One day, I will have a lovely fireplace with a lovely mantle with window seats on either side that are hinged for storage. What I have had, since my divorce 4 years ago, during a major home renovation (word of advice: hire a contractor) is a lovely gas fireplace with no mantle and a big freaking hole behind it (I also don't have baseboards but we won't even go there). Every year I have intended to finish the renovation, every year something happens (Car payments need I say more). In the winter, the wind whistles through that hole, you can hear it and at -20C oh boy can you feel it. So I fill it up… with wool. One whole blue bag full of sock yarn, another one with two sweater's worth of Misti Alpaca and a third sweater's worth of Malabrigo and a smaller bag full of what ever else I could find to block the hole. It's kind o' pathetic. It's how it is.

Now you know.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

You are a genius!!

And I agree that a little moola here and there spent on yourself is moola well spent!

4:06 PM  
Blogger dana said...

Ah, a stash that is actually FUNCTIONAL! Mine just sits around and looks pretty.. ;)

6:41 PM  
Blogger knittinggrammy said...

I see nothing wrong with wool keeping you warm as it's needed. If it's needed at this moment as insulation, so be it!!

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it! Wool makes everything better!!

9:14 AM  
Blogger Yarnhog said...

So technically, when you buy yarn, you are putting money toward your renovations! Brilliant! I wonder if I can convince my husband that our new attic insulation should be wool...

5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home