Sunday, May 07, 2006

Guess I blew my yarn diet…


Well, not really. Amazing deals like 77% off don't really count do they? Also, there were two projects I promised myself as soon as I started working again. One was this Blue Sky Alpacas Ribbon Shell which I wanted to make from the moment I first laid eyes on it. The plan was to make it with Blue Sky Alpacas Alpaca Silk (it calls for either 6 hanks of that or 3 of the Blue Sky Alpaca Cotton I've been using so often of late) but I found this Misti Alpaca 83% Cotton/17% Silk blend. As a bonus, I only need 3 hanks of it which falls a little more in line with my budget. As much as I LOVE the organic cotton (wait until you see the boarding hats they are coming along) I was really craving some silk. With the Misti Alpaca, I'll still get some silk and the nice sheen I was looking for, plus I love this shade of summery blue.


The second project I've been longing to make is the Airy Scarf from Joelle Hoverson's "Last-Minute Knitted Gifts". I love the projects in her book but she picks some very pricey yarns to make them with. The pattern calls for 25 grams of Rowan "Kid Silk Haze" which I looked at but at nearly $19.95 for a 25 gram ball, Yikes! Instead, I found this lovely Crystal Palace "Kid Merino" in Painted Iris it's a 28% kid mohair/28% merino wool/44%micro nylon blend and at $7.95 for a 25 gram ball a little more in my range. It's exactly the same weight and I love the colour. When I'm done I will have a lovely violet scarf for a lovely girl named Violet… how appropriate is that?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have project envy! Both of those are going to be beautiful!! I especially love the scarf colors. (You know you can get two scarves out of one 25 gram ball, don't you?)

Can't wait to see them! I may have to look into making that lace scarf for the Amazing Lace KAL. I've had my eye on that pattern since the book first came out!

7:05 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Yeah baby! Way to blow it in a big way--but you totally scored. My best pal Babs is also doing the Airy Scarf--I'm very attracted to the Hourglass Sweater in that book, and I agree that the yarn is price-y (and so is her store but it completely rules...)!

9:53 PM  
Blogger Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

I know!! The stuff from the craft store was a total score. But I did well at the "Good Yarn" store too. The Misti Alpaca silk/cotton blend is $1 less than the same amount of Blue Sky Alpaca cotton and way less than the Blue Sky Alpaca Silk. I swatched it tonight… totally LOVE it!! The Crystal Palace Kid Merino is less than half the cost of Rowan Kid Silk Haze and looks and feels pretty much the same. So I blew my budget but not NEARLY as badly as I could have (that's my justification and I'm sticking to it).

10:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think you made some bloody good purchases girl! Screw this kind of diet - you won't get fat buying wool that's phat! I love the Alpaca; be still my beating heart! It's great.

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the book "Last-Minute Knitted Gifts" and I have to say, that yarn is calling my name. I love it! For the record, I'm jealous of everyone who's making new projects. I can't wait to finish the ones that I'm working on now. Can the day be more than 24 hours? *whispering* I think I'm going to buy that yarn and start a new project ;)

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home