Wednesday, April 19, 2006

What to do…


Well, things have been busy for me. I have been offered a job, 2 jobs in fact and a 3rd likely. One I called today and turned down. It just didn't feel right. The 2nd job (the one I'm probably going to be offered) is in my field but I'm just not sure about it either, it's advertising again: pushing product I don't believe in to people I don't believe need it (on a much grander and probably better paying scale but basically that's what it is). The 3rd job (one I have been offered) doesn't pay well… but it could pay quite well down the road… it's out of my field, still it's something I've been interested in all my life. I'd make enough to get by to start but potentially in a years time, could be doing quite well. It's creative but completely away from the computer. I could still do my writing, illustration and design but for my own clients on a freelance basis. I want to go to work every day and love my job. I'm sick of sitting behind a computer screen all day, it's only fun when I'm doing my own thing. I like hands on work where you get to move around. I love design and I like helping people. the 3rd job has all that. What to do? More money, same ol' advertising… less money in the "home decor" field with potential to make more. What would you do? What will I do? When I took career counseling we took a series of tests, we did visualization etc. What came to me in my visualization was a perfect room, The perfect colours on the wall… the perfect furnishings and the perfect accessories. It was beautiful, peaceful and serene. Was that a flash of intuition? If I listen to my heart, it says run… don't walk away from advertising. Guess I should feel lucky to have options but what to do?

When I'm feeling stressed, I knit… and knit… and knit… I'm trying to knock some WIP's out of the way before I cast on anything new. All of these are almost done (note the sock!) plus several squares of Blue Sky Alpaca organic cotton which need to go in the mail to Cynthia. It's a gorgeous day, may be I'll take the wee beast for a walk and see if the fresh air helps.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go with your gut. Life is too short to hate what you do eight hours a day!

JMHO!

1:46 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Sounds like you have some great opportunities. One of your sentences really struck me: "it's only fun when I'm doing my own thing." Right on!!!! I agree with the poster above, if you can swing it, do the thing that most interests you and everything else will follow.

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting to offers! That is great! Have you ever thought about going into business for yourself? That's one way to be happy doing your own thing. I know, I know, the reality is that bills need to be paid now. So, I say this, sometimes making more money isn't always the best thing. If you can go to work loving what you do, than do what you love. Trust me when I say that I know how it feels going to a job you don't like for 8hrs/day 5days/week. Not fun at all.

On another note. Size 18 to a size 8! That's great! Get that book publish! You'll get a lot of sales :).

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home