Friday, March 21, 2008

Hello... Goodbye...

Hello Year of Lace that is! Ever the procrastonator, I joined today. SO GLAD. I joined because I saw the first kit. No spoiler here... only one word... STUNNING!!! Plus it's not like I've ever had a bad experience with Make One, it's my LYS. Classes, sock club, Retreat... all have been fantastic experiences. So I am stoked. Stoked I say.

I also joined the Swallowtail Shawl KAL on Ravelry's Make One Yarnies group, I have MMMMMalibrigo lace yarn, I have my needles, I have not the pattern, not yet anyway. But I'm working on it.

This is fearless knitting at it's finest for me... that left-handedness is a particular bug when it comes to things like... well like lace. Wish me luck. It'll either be my Year of Lace or my Year of Crazy Making.

I said goodbye to my son today. He's off to Ontario to visit his Dad. I am already going stir crazy but hope that a total and overwhelming obsession with knitting will get me through the next 10 days without me turning into a unmitigated disaster.

There is reason to worry. The last time the boy went to his Dad's, I got daily sobbing phone calls, he fought incessantly with his new step mother and in the end, he came home early. He didn't speak to his Dad for months afterwards (he'd hang up on his Dad if he called). That was 1-1/2 years ago. After that, the boy started having severe anxiety problems (requiring professional intervention) and we have that under control now. I don't want to project negativity on this trip. The boy is more mature, and with any degree of luck, so is his Step Mom. The anxiety is well under control (and we reviewed what he needs to do if he does have an anxiety attack). One might hope, his Dad has made a better plan of action for this trip to ensure it's fun, pleasant and goes more smoothly. I told the boy to chill, don't take things to heart and above all HAVE FUN. Tell his Dad if anything upsets him, breathe.

I miss him already.

Can't believe, I almost forgot I have an FO. It's a miracle! Gigi is done! She's going to her new home. Specs: Gigi from Romantic Knits by Annie Modesitt in Tilli Tomas, Pure and Simple: Ruby Wine

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger YawnOver said...

Gigi came out just beautiful! That Tilli Tomas is really something. Hope things go well for your son - you are such a caring and conscientious mom, and I'm sure all your efforts mean the world to him (even if he doesn't always remember to tell you so ;) )

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and for you my dearest friend... BREATHE...

I know. Easier said than done. Thinking of you.

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, I'm thinking good thoughts for you and your son, and sending vibes for a pleasant and smooth visit.

2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girlie! I'm back from hibernating. So much has been going on with me. I'm glad to see that you're doing well. I so remember the story of your son's last visit with his dad. Hopefully, this time around is better. Dad just needs to step up to make sure that his son comes first and matters most. ISn't the step mom like 19 or something? Hopefully she's grown up some.

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy the break - you deserve it.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home