Tuesday, May 22, 2007

ROAD TRIP!!!

Oh look, some actual knitting content. I have been knitting, in fact, I have been knitting a pair of socks quite faithfully and they are on the home stretch. Same ol' toe up dpn's two at the same time thing. There is a problem though. They look great individually but see them together--yep--they look like two entirely different socks. Fortunately, I'm not especially troubled by that. Nope not at all.


And look at my knitting bowl. Chock full of gorgeous stuff all calling to me but I am trying to be a one thing at a time sort of person--in other words going entirely against my true nature. I started to start a chevron scarf but ripped it back out, put the balls back from whence they came and went back to my socks. I set a pug to guard over my bowl to keep temptation at bay. A present from the Hanger (he is pug obsessed).


My car died last Wednesday, right before a long weekend, of course. In a true, "if life hands you lemons make lemonade" moment I decided that this could mean only one thing. ROAD TRIP!!! So Sunday, I rented a car and took the boy on a totally spontaneous road trip. We went to one of our favourite places, bet you'll never guess, Drumheller!! I loves the Drum! For the record, I also love Dinosaur Provincial Park. We hike, we admire the hoodoos, we go to the Royal Tyrrell Museum, we eat junk food, it's all good. There is something about renting a car and just taking off--it's so freeing. I have this fantasy where I just keep going… drive wherever the whim takes me… find a job in some little diner in the middle of nowhere and start all over… completely anonymous… Holly Cole's song, "Calling You" would be the soundtrack.

I have this other fantasy involves getting a job at the Museum and moving to Drum. The severe electrical storm and flash flood that occurred while we were there might have cured me of that for awhile. I've never seen so much water accumulate so fast. It was still fun except for a few tense moments driving through the rapidly rising water. We elected to get the heck out of Dodge and avoid our usual drive up the badlands to the Bleriot ferry (which probably wasn't running by that point).

6 Comments:

Blogger Lone Knitter said...

I love the guard dog. I need a guard dog. Too cute!

12:43 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Cool socks, I just took a toe-up class tonight and I think I might be hooked...

8:17 PM  
Blogger dana said...

That sounds like such a fun weekend! And nice socks... I like the different personalities of them.

11:33 PM  
Blogger Bellflower said...

Ain't Drumheller grand? I got to have an extended stay in Carbon (I painted a barn one summer) and it was good fun to drive out there, there's a wicked Greek restaurant across the street from the giant dinosaur. They have their own lemon tree.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Lone Knitter said...

Your beautiful squares came on Friday. Thank you so much for them and for the nice card! You're awesome.

7:52 PM  
Blogger zoe said...

at least the socks are of the same colour .. you should see ours'...




perhaps not.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home