Monday, April 02, 2007

Good weather for knitting…


One finished pair of socks! I felt it was only fair that I cast on for another--Jitterbug Jays (you knew I would) they are so much faster on the bigger needles! I am not going to start any larger projects until I finish a few things first.


There was quite a bit of LL left over… what do you do with left over sock yarn? I think there might be enough for another pair if I get something to co-ordinate for the toe and heel or is there something else I could do?

I got my Applelaine Apple Pie sock yarn from Wool-Tyme. If anything it's even prettier in person and very soft. To me, it looks like dappled sunshine. The "Army Surplus" colour way is quite lovely--it's name does not do it justice as the colours are quite intense and look more like foliage with the sun shining through it and the "Winter Dawn" is very suited to it's name, pinks and browns and blues and golds all flecking together. I look forward to trying it.


It's good weather for knitting here as you can see.

I worked around the house most of the day Sunday and will do the same again today. What I can't bring myself to throw away, I am moving to the basement. Hopefully we will have a yard sale this summer and get rid of a bunch of stuff. Or I may just skip the yard sale and call a charity to come take it all away. My main concern is to remove the clutter… where it goes doesn't bother me that much.

It's Spring Break this week.

Prepare for a rant about school. You can stop reading here if you are only interested in the knitting ;-D.

I met with people at the boy's school Friday. I got the distinct impression that the VP there is an idiot.
  • First, he was going to cancel because some other parent had barged in and was insisting he talk to her NOW! I pointed out that I had scheduled my meeting and taken unpaid time off work to be there and had no intention of cancelling (he should get a back bone for crying out loud).
  • Second, he wasn't prepared. He had anxiety mixed up with OCD (quite different and not an issue for my son). The guidance counsellor had to explain the difference.
  • Third, the VP was immediately wanting to send my son off to a different school (one where the kids focus more on being employable). Great, lets take an extremely bright kid with a learning disability and anxiety and teach him how to drywall. Yeah!!
  • And finally, he didn't know about the special needs school that operates within the CBE. It's a wonderful school that only accepts students of above average intelligence who also have either ADD or learning disabilities or both but can only keep them a maximum of two years. I pointed out that they did not recommended the current school willy nilly. They obviously feel the boy is capable of doing well there and I certainly don't want the doors of academia being closed in his face in grade 7.
It was all most exhausting. However, at this point I know that a calm, polite, yet firm manner wins over calling someone a moron every time (although the latter is always tempting).

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Bellflower said...

Your boy's current school nonsense mirrors my elementary school (grades 5 & 6)experience in a very eerie way. He's very lucky to have you to go to bat for him.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Marnie- Stick to your guns. I have 2 teenagers, and have met my share of idiots along the way.

7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I also had to go through all those meetings. You sound like you did all the right things - good for you! Your son needs a strong mom to advocate for him.

See why knitting is so important for relaxation?

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The left over might be enough for some ankle socks! Great for summer. Is that snow in April? We're supposed to get flurries in NY this weekend, and to think I was just getting ready for Spring.The guidance counselor had to explain the difference between OCD and ADD to the VP? Was he new to the school? Is this his first week or first time hearing of ADD in school age children? You did say he was the VP, right? It's a good thing you stood your ground! I hope your son gets into the school.

10:03 AM  
Blogger Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

To be totally fair, it was Anxiety and OCD he had mixed up. but you would think the Vice Principal would at least be up on the programs offered by the public school board.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi...

I check out your site occassionally for the knitting, but I've had my coffee now and your post got me riled up. I hope you don't mind (as this is none of my business).

It is disgraceful that a VP would not know the differences between types of learning disabilities and then completely disregard your son's intelligence. I am fearful for those kids who's parents are less confident in their abilities than you. Is this where our educational system is at?

I think of all the brilliant people I know with learning disabilities and how they've learned...not to overcome them but how to use their differences in learning to their advantage and focus on how these so called disadvantages actually benefit them. That sentence was awful, but I hope I got my point across.

Anyway...with the support you are obviously giving your child, I think there's a bright future headed his way. Kudos to you and your son.

Back to lurking. Keep fighting the good fight!

11:29 AM  
Blogger Gingersnaps with Tea... said...

Hey Stephanie I don't mind at all. Our public educaton system is grossly underfunded. Schools don't have the resources to deal with kids that fall out of the norm. Sadly for me, as a single parent, I don't have the luxury of sending my son to a private school so I've educated myself and learned to advocate for him within the public system.

12:35 AM  
Blogger Lone Knitter said...

Yay for finished socks! I have two skeins of JitterBug yarn that I'm thinking of trying out for my neck sock adventure. It feels so yummy, so I know your socks will be extra comfty.

7:28 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Desperately wanting Jitterbug now that I've seen it on your blog!;)

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home